The recent issue of Vegetarian Journal features quick and easy suggestions for preparing dishes containing watermelon. Chef Nancy Berkoff starts off by stating, “Watermelon isn’t just a juicy warm-weather treat. This fruit contains potassium and vitamins A and C. Humans have been feasting on watermelon for centuries. Although native to Africa, watermelons have been known in India since prehistoric times. The first recorded watermelon harvest took place 5,000 years ago in Egypt. Pictures of the fruit were found in paintings on the walls of ancient buildings.
We never get much beyond slicing
watermelon and offering it as a terrific accompaniment to summer meals.
Watermelon is a “total utilization” fruit, though. You can use the
interior, the juice, the seeds, and the rind! It is perfect with sweet (cereal,
vegan yogurt, baked goods) or savory (grilled veggie dogs or burgers, pasta salad)
Some of Nancy’s suggestions include: To
go savory with your watermelon, you can use watermelon cubes to “tame the
heat” in curries and chilies, in veggie salad with onions and garlic, and
in stir-fries or sautés (add small watermelon cubes at the last minute), or use
as a garnish. Try a “watermelon steak” (a thick slice of watermelon,
rind removed) topped with slices of ripe avocado and shredded jicama, chopped
parsley, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. If you would like to get
adventurous, do some web searches for a watermelon curry recipe, popular in
Caribbean and South Asian cuisine.
You can read the entire column here: https://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2019issue2/2019_issue2_bonjour_vegan.php
Subscribe to Vegetarian Journal in the USA only by visiting https://www.vrg.org/member/2013sv.php
You can also subscribe to the Kindle version of Vegetarian
Journal in the USA and United Kingdom.
United Kingdom, visit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LBY2Y7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1544731957&sr=8-1&keywords=B07LBY2Y7K
- COLUMN-U.S. legislation will help retirement security, but bigger steps are needed June 19, 2019needed@ (The opinions expressed here are those of the author, a columnist for Reuters.) CHICAGO, June 19 (Reuters) - Federal policy on retirement secu […]
- Column: AG Bill Barr must find true reasons for Trump/Russia probe June 19, 2019With so much political noise in the air, with President Trump and AOC calling their partisan bannermen to political war, it’s almost impossible for Am […]
- Column: The winds of change are often turbulent June 19, 2019I’ve been thinking a lot about change lately, especially in light of all the change that has transpired in my life in the last month. I always hated c […]
- Column: Students: Match studies with your values to maximize success June 19, 2019Folks are still talking about billionaire Robert F. Smith’s benevolence last month in giving $40 million to pay off the student loan debt of Morehouse […]
- Column: Not all budget deficits are created equal June 19, 2019The U.S. budget deficit is now almost $740 billion, the Treasury Department reported last week, prompting a new round of familiar criticism of 2017 […]