Welcome to MoggyBoxCraft – You'll find me up-cycling, recycling, baking, cooking, DIYing, growing fruit/veg in the garden, painting, and trying my best to reuse and re-purpose. I'll be uploading some other life/random videos so you'll have to stay tuned…
This Recipe is my FAVOURITE VEGAN CHRISTMAS CAKE to make.
This is the first video of 2. Part 1 is the recipe, ingredients and method. (see below for lists and instructions/method.)
Part 2 is how I decorate and package my cakes to give as gifts to my family and friends for Christmas.
You can find that video here: (coming soon)
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
100g glazed cherries
450g mixed dried fruit (sultanas/raisins)
150g fresh orange juice
100g cooking alcohol (rum/ whisky or you could use orange juice if you don’t want to use alcohol)
100g vegan butter/margarine (plus extra to use for sticking the parchment to the cake tin)
200g dark brown sugar (I like to use half soft brown sugar and half molasses)
1tsp baking soda
Egg replacer equal to 2 eggs
400g of whole-wheat or wholemeal flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp mixed spice
The zest of a lemon and orange
8”/20cm square cake tin
Parchment/ baking paper
1. Put all your fruit – 100g glazed cherries, 60g dates, 100g apricots, 40g cranberries, 450g mixed dried fruit (sultanas/raisins), (roughly chop the bigger fruit) in a large cooking pot.
2. Add to the cooking pot of dried fruit – 200g hot water (boiled in kettle), 100g alcohol and 150g of fresh orange juice.
3. Soak for 24 hours.
4. The next day – add 100 g vegan butter, 100g water, 200g brown sugar and 1 tsp baking soda to the pot of soaked fruit.
5. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10mins.
6. Cool for 1-2 hours. Then add the egg replacer equal to 2 eggs.
7. Pre heat oven to 140 degrees and line baking pan (square 8” pan) with parchment paper.
8. In a large bowl put in your dry ingredients – 400g wholemeal flour, ½ tsp salt, 1 tsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp mixed spice, and mix together.
9. Add the zest of a lemon and orange to the dry ingredients in the bowl, then mix this into the pot of wet ingredients, MIX WELL.
10. You are now ready to put your cake mix into the cake tin and smooth out.
11. Pop your cake in the oven with a sheet of parchment placed on top with a hole cut out of the centre – this stops the cake burning but still lets the moisture out.
12. Bake at 140 degrees for 1 hours, then turn your oven down to 120 degrees and bake for another 2 ½ hours. Finally turn off your oven and leave your cake for another 20mins in the remaining heat.
13. Remove cake from oven, cake tin and remove parchment.
14. Leave to cool and wrap in parchment overnight.
15. When completely cool, store in Tupper wear until you are ready to decorate.
Lets get social:
Music used in this video is from:
Disclaimer: This video is Not sponsored. I bought everything myself and there are no affiliate links.
- Brand Castle and Sisters’ Gourmet baking mixes recalled June 25, 2019Brand Castle of Bedford Heights, Ohio, is recalling 25-oz. and 32-oz glass jars of cookie and brownie mix. The products may be contaminated with E. co […]
- He turned his love of baking into a downtown Battle Creek business. He's also 15. June 25, 2019He turned his love of baking into a downtown Battle Creek business. He's also 15. JJ's Sweet Treats, a new business at the BC Cargo Pop-Up S […]
- Baking soda affects inflammation and insulin handling in type 2 diabetes June 24, 2019Early research suggests that the common pantry staple baking soda affects inflammation and insulin handling in type 2 diabetes. The findings will be p […]
- ‘Child’-ish: Farmington woman has loved baking since she was a kid June 24, 2019FARMINGTON — When Megan Brown was younger, she watched Julia Child cooking on television with her grandmother. So inspired was Brown that as an adult […]
- “Hot” Tip: Use Blue Plate Mayonnaise For Baking June 24, 2019Mayonnaise is a must-have when you’re whipping up a potato or chicken salad this summer — but did you know that mayo can be an awesome addition when y […]