Tempeh Cauliflower Potato Tamarind Curry. South Indian Coconut and tamarind curry with veggies.Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Recipe. Can be Soyfree. Jump to Recipe
My aim with the blog is to introduce flavorful new ways to add more plant focused meals to our and your repertoire. That means making some Indian cooking simpler and more approachable. Some of these options are home meals or regional recipes that are mostly never found in Indian restaurants.
Exhibit a this Tofu Amritsari Masala which keeps getting made so many times, Exhibit b Black eyed Pea Brown Rice Peanut Pulao which has amazing flavor and texture. There are several recipes in my drafts too, that I have to edit and schedule intermittently. Sometimes they take a back seat in favor of the more popular options.
The sauce today is inspired from South Indian style Tamarind Chiken Curry. I use Tempeh for the Protein and added potatoes and cauliflower because I had to use them up and all work really well in the sauce. You can make this soyfree with more of the veggies, some cooked chickpeas/beans/lentils or chickpea tofu.
As with some regional Indian cooking, sometimes the ingredient list is longer as they use whole and ground spices in combination to create their own flavor. The sauces and curries in many regional Indian cuisines are not just sauce base + garam masala. The flavor gets built up with various spices and ingredients.
For this sauce, the dry whole spices such as coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek and black pepper are toasted and then ground and blended with tomato. The mixture is then added to golden onions and simmered to make a deep flavored sauce. Add veggies or tempeh or anything else and simmer to infuse the veggies with the flavor. Garnish with lemon and Serve with rice or flatbread.
- Whole Foods Is Selling Cauliflower Mac And Cheese, And It's The Comfort Food That Won't Weigh You Down April 20, 2019Cauliflower pizza crust had its time to shine, and now the veggie is heading into pasta territory with Cauliflower Mac & Cheese. Whole Foods, unsu […]
- Jackie Bea’s Moroccan-Inspired Cauliflower-Rice Bowl April 19, 2019Rice bowls are meant to be versatile. Jackie’s bowl has many components, including gingered turkey meatballs, a Harissa-inspired sauce, oven-roasted c […]
- Rollercoaster ride expected for cauliflower April 19, 2019Cauliflower supplies coming from California are moderate right now. “The supplies are coming from Santa Maria and the Salinas districts,” says Bob R. […]
- Nigerian-inspired recipes: Hot honey short ribs and coconut cauliflower April 19, 2019Chef Kwame Onwuachi of Kith/Kin restaurant in Washington, DC, author of "Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir," is in the TODAY kitchen t […]
- Caribbean-inspired recipes: Hot honey short ribs and coconut cauliflower April 19, 2019Chef and author Kwame Onwuachi of Kith/Kin restaurant in Washington, DC is in the TODAY kitchen to share a few Caribbean-inspired recipes from his boo […]