Tempeh Cauliflower Potato Tamarind Curry. South Indian Coconut and tamarind curry with veggies.Vegan Glutenfree Nutfree Recipe. Can be Soyfree. Jump to Recipe
My aim with the blog is to introduce flavorful new ways to add more plant focused meals to our and your repertoire. That means making some Indian cooking simpler and more approachable. Some of these options are home meals or regional recipes that are mostly never found in Indian restaurants.
Exhibit a this Tofu Amritsari Masala which keeps getting made so many times, Exhibit b Black eyed Pea Brown Rice Peanut Pulao which has amazing flavor and texture. There are several recipes in my drafts too, that I have to edit and schedule intermittently. Sometimes they take a back seat in favor of the more popular options.
The sauce today is inspired from South Indian style Tamarind Chiken Curry. I use Tempeh for the Protein and added potatoes and cauliflower because I had to use them up and all work really well in the sauce. You can make this soyfree with more of the veggies, some cooked chickpeas/beans/lentils or chickpea tofu.
As with some regional Indian cooking, sometimes the ingredient list is longer as they use whole and ground spices in combination to create their own flavor. The sauces and curries in many regional Indian cuisines are not just sauce base + garam masala. The flavor gets built up with various spices and ingredients.
For this sauce, the dry whole spices such as coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek and black pepper are toasted and then ground and blended with tomato. The mixture is then added to golden onions and simmered to make a deep flavored sauce. Add veggies or tempeh or anything else and simmer to infuse the veggies with the flavor. Garnish with lemon and Serve with rice or flatbread.
- Cauliflower coffee causing a stir at horticultural conference in Melbourne June 26, 2019Cauliflower coffee launched this week at Hort Connections in Melbourne One cup of cauliflower latte is the equivalent of a daily serve of vegetables F […]
- For a zippy cauliflower salad, why not go to Morocco? June 26, 2019Chermoula is a traditional Moroccan marinade made with hefty amounts of cilantro, lemon and garlic that packs a big flavor punch. While this dressing […]
- Cauliflower Ear in MMA: Why the 'Gnarly' Injury Is Considered a 'Badge of Honor' June 26, 2019Leslie Smith was feeling pretty good when her ear exploded. At least, she was feeling as good as you can feel in the middle of an athletic contest wit […]
- Cauliflower burgers bursting with flavor June 26, 2019These North African-inspired cauliflower burgers are bursting with complex flavor, and we love the contrast between their creamy, nutty interiors and […]
- How does Trader Joe's new Broccoli & Kale Pizza Crust compare to the cauliflower crust? June 25, 2019To eat or not to eat Trader Joe's new Broccoli & Kale Pizza Crust? That is the question. If you're a big fan of Trader's Joe's […]