Healthy stuffed tomatoes baked with quinoa, spinach, and chickpeas are a beautiful and delicious way to enjoy one of summer’s best crops – tomatoes!
Fresh juicy tomatoes must be one of summer’s greatest pleasures. Especially when you grown them in the backyard and eat them straight from the vine, sweet and warm from the sun. You may remember we’ve used our homegrown tomatoes for Fresh Tomato Marinara, Salsa, Tomato Soup, and Bruschetta! While we don’t have a veggie garden set up at our new house yet, we will still be enjoying farmer’s market (and let’s be real, Trader Joe’s) tomatoes over the next few months.
One especially fun way to show of tomatoes is to scoop out the insides and fill with lots of good stuff. This time we stuffed them with quinoa, spinach, the tomato pulp, and chickpeas. This recipe was inspired by a Greek stuffed tomato recipe I found while looking over a fun cookbook (Amazon Affiliate link, just FYI) Opa! The Healthy Greek Cookbook. Meals are just so fun when they’re stuffed, aren’t they? I mean, we can’t forget Mushroom Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash, Taco Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers, and Lasagna Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms! Okay, let’s check out how to make these easy quinoa stuffed tomatoes.
- Quinoa & Black Bean Salad June 20, 2019The folks at Nature's Plate share the recipe for a quinoa and black bean salad. It's a perfectly balanced meal of whole grains, beans, & […]
- Pekin, then and now, with Sharon Samuels Reed, PCHS’s history-making music teacher June 19, 2019Seated in a booth in the corner of the restaurant, she ordered a cup of tea and the oatmeal with extra brown sugar, to supplement the taste of the chi […]
- Charred cookbook: Vegetarian BBQ recipes from Georgian-style aubergine rolls to sweet potato and quinoa rosti June 14, 2019These colourful rolls are great for a party, as you can assemble them ahead of time and serve them at room temperature, adding the garnishes just befo […]
- Judy Walker's Roux Believer: Quinoa Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Peanut Sauce, Roasted Creole Chickpeas, Fudgy Black Bean Brownies June 12, 20191. In a small saucepan, combine quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook, covered, 15-20 minutes. Remove pot from heat; let stand […]
- Recipe: Quinoa parfait June 12, 2019Sauté in a heavy saucepan the quinoa, then add cinnamon, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon peel. Add water and bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook fo […]