I’m having a moment with cooked greens. I know, this is thrilling news, right? I’ve put cooked kale in my mashed potatoes, and now I’m sautéing collard greens for every dinner.
These collards are a little garlicky, a little lemony, and seriously irresistible. They’re the perfect quick and healthy side dish, and they’re exactly what I’m craving as we get a taste of spring weather.
You might associate collard greens with West African cuisine (I put collards in my peanut soup). Maybe you have tried Southern collard greens, which are slow-cooked with bacon or the like. Southern-style collard greens were inherited from Africa, and so were Brazilian collard greens, called “couve à mineira.”
I cooked these collards greens in the Brazilian style—quickly in hot oil, with some garlic and chili flakes. In Brazil, these collards frequently accompany the national dish, called “feijoada,” which is a rich black bean stew cooked with pork, and rice on the side. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, take note that these collard greens would go great with black beans and rice.
Now that our brief history lesson is complete, want to learn how to make this delicious side dish?
- Washington University's Rafia Zafar pieces together African-Americans’ contribution to cuisine in 'Recipes for Respect' March 26, 2019It was her grandmother, though, who taught her to shake chicken in a bag of flour and sip the pot likker from collard greens. When Zafar became an aca […]
- Winston-Salem chef follows her passion, honors her grandmother with collard greens products March 23, 2019WINSTON-SALEM — Chef Shanta Hauser Faison found a flavorful way to honor the legacy of her paternal grandmother Rosetta L. Bloom and follow her passio […]
- Parliamentary recognition for R Collard March 20, 2019United Kingdom-based demolition firm R Collard has been selected as a Best Practice Representative by the 2019 Parliamentary Review. Managing director […]
- Love Island’s Adam Collard reveals heartache over Mike Thalassitis’ death as he begs fans to talk about their feelings March 20, 2019Adam found fame on last year's series of the ITV2 dating show and has admitted that he has been deeply affected by Mike's tragic death The 2 […]
- LOVE Island’s Adam Collard has begged his fans to talk more and open up on their feelings. March 20, 2019Love Island’s Adam Collard took to Instagram to wrote a lengthy and emotional note, days after Mike Thalassitis’ tragic death at 26. Adam, 23, shared […]