I’m having a moment with cooked greens. I know, this is thrilling news, right? I’ve put cooked kale in my mashed potatoes, and now I’m sautéing collard greens for every dinner.
These collards are a little garlicky, a little lemony, and seriously irresistible. They’re the perfect quick and healthy side dish, and they’re exactly what I’m craving as we get a taste of spring weather.
You might associate collard greens with West African cuisine (I put collards in my peanut soup). Maybe you have tried Southern collard greens, which are slow-cooked with bacon or the like. Southern-style collard greens were inherited from Africa, and so were Brazilian collard greens, called “couve à mineira.”
I cooked these collards greens in the Brazilian style—quickly in hot oil, with some garlic and chili flakes. In Brazil, these collards frequently accompany the national dish, called “feijoada,” which is a rich black bean stew cooked with pork, and rice on the side. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, take note that these collard greens would go great with black beans and rice.
Now that our brief history lesson is complete, want to learn how to make this delicious side dish?
- Finding Home: Charlotte's Affordable Housing Chief Talks Progress, Challenges June 23, 2019Pamela Wideman, Charlotte's director of housing and neighborhood services, talks to WFAE's Marshall Terry. Credit Greg Collard / WFAE Pamela […]
- Junior E. Lee busy getting bugs out of upcoming poll June 20, 2019That is not as odd as it might seem at first. Pests are pests whether they are gnawing away on the collard leaves in Arvel Ridley’s garden or eating o […]
- Colossal Collards: Americus woman grows abnormally large crop June 20, 2019AMERICUS, Ga. (WALB) - For more than 25 years, 83-year-old Meland Holt Hawkins has grown abnormally large collard greens from her Americus home. Hawki […]
- Local event sparks conversation on colorism June 20, 2019How has colorism impacted opportunities or lack thereof? Those were just a few of the questions raised at the Delta Fine Arts Center during the Collar […]
- BizWorthy: Charlotte On Pace To Surpass Raleigh Area In Tech Jobs June 20, 2019How many are we talking about in Charlotte and what are they specifically? Tony Mecia Credit Greg Collard / WFAE Tony Mecia: You know for a long time […]