This recipe uses a number of my favorite techniques: mashing, slathering, and drizzling. Imagine a Shepherd’s pie meeting the flavors of an Indian samosa. That’s where we’re headed. Shepherd’s pies are typically lamb or meat based, but this is a veg-friendly version.
Here’s how this shepherd’s pie comes together. It’s pretty straight-forward. You make a hearty, flavor-packed, vegan base using split peas (or lentils), chopped mushrooms, spices, and crushed tomatoes. Layer this under a thick slather of mashed potatoes and baked until the top is golden and a bit crusted. If I know the week ahead is going to be a crusher, I’ll assemble everything over the weekend, and all I have to do is pop it in the oven a bit later in the week. Give it a go, this has been on repeat all winter.
I forget to mention this in the video, but you can certainly create smaller, individual pies – they’re cute, and people love getting their own. And you can absolutely swap in sweet potatoes, just give them a quick peel first.
- Looking ahead for the Buffalo Sabres: Decision looms on Jeff Skinner March 23, 2019The Buffalo Sabres entered the season with three key acquisitions: winger Jeff Skinner, acquired in a trade with Carolina; defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, t […]
- Digne out of France squad ahead of Iceland qualifier in Paris March 23, 2019Lucas Digne has withdrawn from the France squad ahead of their upcoming Euro 2020 qualifier against Iceland after picking up an injury. The Everton de […]
- House Democrats push ahead with their own investigations of President Trump March 23, 2019House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff threatens to subpoena Robert Mueller even as Russia probe comes to an end; reaction from Jon Summers, f […]
- Powerball jackpot jumps to $625 million ahead of drawing March 23, 2019An estimated $625 million jackpot is on the line in Saturday's Powerball drawing. It would be the seventh-highest U.S. lottery jackpot ever. The […]
- Tim Cook reportedly met with a Chinese official as he tours the country ahead of Apple's big event March 23, 2019Tim Cook has been touring China ahead of this weekend's China Development Forum, where he called for privacy regulation last year. It's not […]