This recipe uses a number of my favorite techniques: mashing, slathering, and drizzling. Imagine a Shepherd’s pie meeting the flavors of an Indian samosa. That’s where we’re headed. Shepherd’s pies are typically lamb or meat based, but this is a veg-friendly version.
Here’s how this shepherd’s pie comes together. It’s pretty straight-forward. You make a hearty, flavor-packed, vegan base using split peas (or lentils), chopped mushrooms, spices, and crushed tomatoes. Layer this under a thick slather of mashed potatoes and baked until the top is golden and a bit crusted. If I know the week ahead is going to be a crusher, I’ll assemble everything over the weekend, and all I have to do is pop it in the oven a bit later in the week. Give it a go, this has been on repeat all winter.
I forget to mention this in the video, but you can certainly create smaller, individual pies – they’re cute, and people love getting their own. And you can absolutely swap in sweet potatoes, just give them a quick peel first.
- Forecaddie: Looking ahead to the 2024 Ryder Cup at Bethpage Black May 19, 2019Now that the PGA Championship circus is heading out of town, the attention from Farmingdale to France turns to September 2024 when the Ryder Cup arriv […]
- Four things to expect from the week ahead May 19, 2019It's Monday, it's a new week, and while we won't pretend to know everything that's going to happen over the next seven days, we ca […]
- Brooks Koepka survives late stumble to retain PGA Championship by 2 shots, after starting day 7 ahead May 19, 2019Brooks Koepka survived a late stumble to retain the PGA Championship by 2 shots, after starting the day seven ahead. The win marks his fourth major in […]
- Bogaerts’ go-ahead double helps Red Sox snap Astros’ win streak May 19, 2019Xander Bogaerts' 7th inning double puts Boston on top for good as they top the Astros 4-3 to break their 10 game winning streak. ... […]
- ‘Game of Thrones’: Emilia Clarke, Sophie Turner Pen Emotional Farewells Ahead of Series Finale May 19, 2019The Mother of Dragons is saying goodbye. After portraying Daenerys Targaryen on “Game of Thrones” for the better part of the past decade, Emilia Clark […]