The Lulu’s Food pop-up brunches are back! And they’re hopefully happening on the regular now. My friends Don & Kenzie have hosted occasional Lulu’s brunches at Fuel Cafe over the past year, but they were more sporadic — typically once a month. But that was back when Fuel Cafe was open for business, and Don was working there full-time as the pizza chef. He was holding his brunches at Fuel on some Sundays when they were closed for regular business.
But Fuel Cafe closed back in December, and owner Erik said he was keeping the restaurant space so chefs could hold pop-ups. And Don is taking full advantage of that! He says Lulu’s brunches should be happening every other week now, so long as everyone who makes them happen is in town and available to help out. There may be a few times when every other week isn’t possible, but that’s his goal.
Today’s Lulu’s brunch was themed The Classics, and the menu featured biscuits and gravy, a big breakfast, and crepes. I started with a black coffee (small batch, locally roasted).
I had a hard time choosing between the Big Brekky and the Lion’s & Crepes (sweet and savory crepes stuffed with lion’s mane mushrooms). But in the end, I realized I was craving tofu scram more than crepes. So the Big Brekky it was! Tofu scramble, Don’s homemade sourdough bread, roasted white & sweet potatoes, country smoked carrots, and braised shiitakes from local Bluff City Fungi.
I can’t wait until the next brunch! You can follow Lulu’s on Instagram to get details on future brunch dates, plus that’ll also let you know when Don will be at the Cooper-Young Farmer’s Market selling his famous buns and cookies.
- Miami Beach Mayor Declares Victory After Hip-Hop Brunch Party Is Canceled May 23, 2019Henny & Waffles, a traveling, hip-hop brunch party that features Hennessy and a waffle station, has been described as an "affordable, good, c […]
- The Enduring Popularity of Brunch, Explained May 22, 2019Top image: Creamy Mushroom Toast with Scrambled Eggs from Atlas Coffeehouse. Image credit: Burppler Melissa Chee The story of brunch begins with a han […]
- Guide to the weekend: punk karaoke, art, coffee, brunch May 22, 2019Welcome to our weekly grab bag guide of things to do and places to go in and around Buffalo this weekend. There are two kinds of karaoke. There's […]
- Monthly drag brunch coming to Knoxville's Old City May 22, 2019Monthly drag brunch coming to Knoxville's Old City "Knoxville may have had a drag brunch before, but they’ve never seen one like this.” Chec […]
- Allie’s Vegan Pizzeria & Café ends brunch service due to popularity May 22, 2019Now this is an unusual closing, and the sign posted at Allie’s Vegan Pizzeria & Café, 1314 S. Grand Blvd. #6, says it all: “Allie’s brunch has bee […]