The Lulu’s Food pop-up brunches are back! And they’re hopefully happening on the regular now. My friends Don & Kenzie have hosted occasional Lulu’s brunches at Fuel Cafe over the past year, but they were more sporadic — typically once a month. But that was back when Fuel Cafe was open for business, and Don was working there full-time as the pizza chef. He was holding his brunches at Fuel on some Sundays when they were closed for regular business.
But Fuel Cafe closed back in December, and owner Erik said he was keeping the restaurant space so chefs could hold pop-ups. And Don is taking full advantage of that! He says Lulu’s brunches should be happening every other week now, so long as everyone who makes them happen is in town and available to help out. There may be a few times when every other week isn’t possible, but that’s his goal.
Today’s Lulu’s brunch was themed The Classics, and the menu featured biscuits and gravy, a big breakfast, and crepes. I started with a black coffee (small batch, locally roasted).
I had a hard time choosing between the Big Brekky and the Lion’s & Crepes (sweet and savory crepes stuffed with lion’s mane mushrooms). But in the end, I realized I was craving tofu scram more than crepes. So the Big Brekky it was! Tofu scramble, Don’s homemade sourdough bread, roasted white & sweet potatoes, country smoked carrots, and braised shiitakes from local Bluff City Fungi.
I can’t wait until the next brunch! You can follow Lulu’s on Instagram to get details on future brunch dates, plus that’ll also let you know when Don will be at the Cooper-Young Farmer’s Market selling his famous buns and cookies.
- What's good for lunch, brunch or dinner? This asparagus tart March 24, 2019This beautiful tart takes just minutes to assemble and makes for an impressive brunch dish, appetizer, or even a simple light lunch or dinner. We expe […]
- Smith’s Food and Drug ‘Sunday Brunch’: Homemade Strawberry ‘Pop-Tarts’ March 24, 2019Make the filling by putting the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch and orange juice in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir frequently, and using a pota […]
- Try These Three Spring Brunch Recipes March 24, 2019Frittatas are a versatile dish that can be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner. This easy frittata, featuring green spring vegetables accented by cho […]
- Sunday Brunch: Brisket Skillet Hash March 24, 2019CHICAGO — Amanda Downing, the head chef at Smoke Daddy shared their recipe for Brisket Skillet Hash. Roasted Green Bell Peppers, diced ½” x ½” 1/2 Cup […]
- Richmond Brunch Weekend is this weekend March 23, 2019RICHMOND, Va. -- Richmond Brunch Weekend is this weekend and the annual event raises money for a good cause. Eat brunch at a participating restaurant, […]