My goodness, this is very good. It really tastes like a pâté should. We use it as a spread for sandwiches and also for cracker snacks.
Yield: 1½ cups
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups watrer, lightly salted
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional uyeast
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari , Braggs Amino or light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- ⅛ teaspoon each allspice, niutmeg, rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Soak the lentils for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place the soaked lentils in a pot.
- Cover with water (about 1½ cups).
- Add the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the lentils are very soft.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse to a fine “flour”.
- Add the seasonings and nutritional yeast, and pulse again to mix.
- When the lentils have cooked, drain any extra liquid off and add to the walnuts in the food processor.
- Add the tamari and lemon juice
- Pulse to blend.
- Season to taste.
- Tingmo time May 23, 2019At Little Tibet, the momos are classified as Himalayan; curries and stir-fry noodles as Tibetan; and the thali (a combo meal consisting of a curry, le […]
- How to make lentil and squash soup May 22, 2019The thing about soup is that it's the perfect comfort food and i t's also really easy to make and doesn't take a long time. So whether […]
- Provencal Vegetable & Lentil Salad May 22, 2019Subscribe Today! Please read: Readers of local content on the Herald and News website – heraldandnews.com – will require a subscription beginning toda […]
- Bombay Food Junkies has a brick-and-mortar in St. Ann May 17, 2019You’re in the mood for Northern India’s curries, paneer, and big circles of chewy naan? Or do you prefer rolled dosa crepes and lentil-based stews fro […]
- Add pickled rhubarb to this lentil salad and enjoy the punch May 14, 2019Pickled rhubarb gives this salad a pop of color and a sweet-sour punch. Thinly sliced celery and fennel add texture, while fresh chevre echoes the rhu […]