My goodness, this is very good. It really tastes like a pâté should. We use it as a spread for sandwiches and also for cracker snacks.
Yield: 1½ cups
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups watrer, lightly salted
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional uyeast
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari , Braggs Amino or light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- ⅛ teaspoon each allspice, niutmeg, rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Soak the lentils for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place the soaked lentils in a pot.
- Cover with water (about 1½ cups).
- Add the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the lentils are very soft.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse to a fine “flour”.
- Add the seasonings and nutritional yeast, and pulse again to mix.
- When the lentils have cooked, drain any extra liquid off and add to the walnuts in the food processor.
- Add the tamari and lemon juice
- Pulse to blend.
- Season to taste.
- Meat-free mushroom and lentil bolognese March 24, 20191. Soak dried mushrooms in one cup of boiling water for 30 minutes. Strain, reserving soaking liquid, and finely dice, discarding stems. Trim the fres […]
- Kielbasa and Lentil Soup with Lots of Basil March 24, 2019Slice 12 oz. kielbasa crosswise into ¼"-thick coins. Heat a large heavy pot over medium. Add ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil and swirl to coat. Cook […]
- Scientists grow 'mini-brain on the move' that can contract muscle March 23, 2019Load Error The lentil-sized gray blob of human brain cells was seen to spontaneously send out tendril-like connections to link up with the spinal cord […]
- Worcester Living: Executive chef at Becker College goes 'extra mile and beyond for students' March 22, 2019Executive Chef Casey Griswold meets the challenge, taking comfort food to delicious new heights with recipes for Mushroom, Asparagus and Fontina Mataf […]
- Lentil Purée March 21, 2019The many dals of India (this one, typical of the south, is from Samia Ahad, who teaches Indian cooking in New York) differ not only in the lentil used […]