The recent issue of Vegetarian Journal features reviews of
books that we especially like. The review of Plant-Based Meats by Robin Asbell
says: “Have you ever wanted to make your own vegan “meats” at home?
Now you can! This book starts you off with basic “meat” recipes, such
as vegan beef seitan, chicken breasts, chicken skins, shredded chicken, and
ham. Then there are recipes for various types of vegan sausage including
Breakfast Sausage with Sage and Apple, Spanish Chorizo, and Italian. Next, move
on to lunch “meats” like salami, pastrami, pepperoni, and baloney.
The Meatballs, Burgers, and Meat Loaf
chapter offers options such as Thai Meatballs in Red Curry, Walnut-Bulgur
Burgers, and Quinoa-Sweet Potato Meat Loaf. Tacos and Pulled Meat ideas include
Smoky Chipotle Mushroom Taco Meat and Jackfruit Jerked Pork. Also try Roasts
and Filets, such as Strip Steaks for the Grill and Pineapple Baked Ham, or Ribs
and Wings including Sticky Sriracha Ribs or Cauliflower Buffalo Wings.
Bacon and Jerky options are provided as
well as numerous main courses such as Pepperoni Pizza, Curried Chicken Salad,
Chinese Beef with Broccolini, Ham and Veggie Potpies, and a Classic BLT.”
Our review of The Kick Diabetes
Cookbook states: “If you or someone you know has diabetes and wants to follow a
vegan diet, this book is for you. The first section includes information on
foods that help regulate blood glucose levels, along with several helpful
charts indicating which nutrients decrease diabetes risk and which increase the
risk. Next, the reader is provided with useful tips on cooking vegan cuisine,
including 100 quick-and-easy vegan recipes.
For breakfast, you might want to
prepare Wholly Granola, Banana-Walnut Pancakes, or Carrot Spice Muffins. Move
on to soups and try Green-Gold Cauliflower Soup, Kale and Avocado Soup, or Navy
Bean and Mushroom Soup. Serve a salad with your soup choice such as Classic
Broccoli Salad, Kale Salad with Orange-Ginger Dressing, or Mango and Black Bean
Salad. You will also find a very useful section on dressings, marinades, dips,
gravies, and sauces.
The Vegetables and Side Dishes
chapter offers Asian Green Beans, Spicy Bok Choy, Red Cabbage with Apples, and
more. Main dish choices include African Chickpea Stew, Stuffed Winter Squash,
Tamale Pie, Nori Rolls with Cauliflower Rice, and Black Beans with Greens. And
of course, you can end your meal with one of these terrific desserts: Apple
Crisp, Vanilla Chai Pudding, Lime Bliss Balls, or Black Bean Brownies.
Nutritional analyses and
beautiful photos appear throughout the cookbook. The Kick Diabetes Cookbook (ISBN: 978-1-57067-359-7)
is a 192-page book. It is published by Book Publishing Company and retails for
$19.95. You can purchase this book from our book catalog online in the United
States only at www.vrg.org/catalog,
or from your local bookstore.”
You can read the entire column here: https://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2019issue2/2019_issue2_book_reviews.php
Subscribe to Vegetarian Journal in the USA only by visiting https://www.vrg.org/member/2013sv.php
You can also subscribe to the Kindle version of Vegetarian
Journal in the USA and United Kingdom.
United Kingdom, visit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LBY2Y7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1544731957&sr=8-1&keywords=B07LBY2Y7K
- Oil rises after drone attack on Saudi field August 19, 2019Brent crude is up 55 cents, or about 0.9%, at $59.19 a barrel. U.S. WTI crude futures climb 57 cents, or 1%, at $55.44 a barrel. Crude oil prices rose […]
- County Fermanagh: Police escape injury in bomb attack August 19, 2019Police officers have escaped injury in a bomb explosion in County Fermanagh. The explosion happened at Wattle Bridge, near Newtownbutler, during a sec […]
- Afghanistan vows to crush Islamic State havens after attack on wedding party August 19, 2019KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghanistan's president on Monday vowed to "eliminate" all safe havens of the Islamic State group as the coun […]
- Groom from horrific Afghan wedding attack says he's "lost hope" August 19, 2019Kabul, Afghanistan – The groom whose weekend wedding here was obliterated by a suicide bombing that killed at least 63 people says he has "lost h […]
- An Afghan wedding attack adds a tragic twist to peace talks August 18, 2019Want smart analysis of the most important news in your inbox every weekday, along with other global reads, interesting ideas and opinions? Sign up for […]