Repeat after me: No more mushy rice! No more mushy rice! I’ve been using this brown rice cooking technique for years, and it never fails.
A few reasons to love this recipe:
- You don’t need a rice cooker or any special equipment (just a pot with a lid, and a kitchen stove).
- You can use this technique on any type of brown rice (long, medium or short grain, as long as it’s not a quick-cooking variety).
- It’s so easy to remember, you’ll never need to look up how to cook brown rice again.
For this technique, you’ll boil your rice in an abundance of water for 30 minutes. Drain off the excess water, return the rice to the pot, cover, and let the rice steam for 10 minutes. Ta da! Perfect brown rice, every time.
I originally found this technique on Saveur, and I’m so thankful I did. Their recipe calls for 12 cups of water (that’s a lot) per cup of rice, and I’ve learned that it really only needs 6 cups.
However, you don’t actually have to measure the water as long as you’re using a large enough pot. If too much water evaporates during the cooking process, just add more and return the water to a boil. Your rice will still turn out perfectly!
- Bird Brown: Don't like U.S. women's soccer celebrating? Stop them from scoring June 15, 2019Thirteen to zero. Blah, blah, blah. Wah, wah, wah. That’s all I’ve been hearing all week since the U.S. women’s national team thrashed Thailand in the […]
- Denton Guyer's Brynn Brown breaks a state record with 2-mile time in Seattle June 15, 2019Denton Guyer's Brynn Brown ran the fastest two-mile race by a Texas high school girl in state history Saturday at the Brooks PR Invitational in S […]
- Watch Antonio Brown mic'd up at Raiders mandatory minicamp practice June 15, 2019"Let's put a show on today." Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown was chatting with quarterback Derek Carr during a recent mandatory min […]
- Young, small, but mighty: Skateboarder Sky Brown shreds path toward Olympics June 15, 2019Having confidently glided up to the top pipe on a ramp nearly 10 feet high, skateboarder Sky Brown lost her footing while trying a trick and tumbled d […]
- Antonio Brown puts on a performance during Raiders mandatory minicamp June 15, 2019"Let's put a show on today." Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown was chatting with play-caller Derek Carr during a recent mandatory min […]