My long-time blogger friend Barb Musick — of That Was Vegan blog fame — has a new cookbook out! And I am so proud of her! The Complete Vegan Instant Pot Cookbook is just what it sounds like — a comprehensive guide to vegan cooking in the Instant Pot. We’ll be giving away a copy at the end of this post!
When Barb reached out to me about reviewing her book, I had to admit — I didn’t actually OWN an Instant Pot. It’s one of the few kitchen gadgets that I just haven’t gotten yet. But my parents have one, so I was happy for an excuse to borrow theirs.
Barb includes lots of great tips for Instant Pot newbies like myself. And since my parents’ pot isn’t an Instant Pot brand pot (it’s a generic version called GreenPan), I found that section of the book very helpful for translating some of the Instant Pot settings to other instant pressure cookers.
I’ve made a few recipes over the past couple weeks, and I am so thrilled with everything I’ve made! From the breakfast chapter this week, I made Barb’s Strawberry Oats with Maple Toasted Walnuts.
These creamy steel cut oats are sweetened with a little brown sugar and topped with fresh berries and candied walnuts (made on the stovetop while the oats are cooking). Steel cut oats always take forever on the stove, and they still took awhile in the Instant Pot. But I was able to set the timer, walk away and take a shower, and come back to finished oats. No need to watch a pot on the stove. Love that!
I picked two recipes from the Vegetable Mains chapter to try. First, I tried the Butternut Mac & Cheese because I LOVE a vegan cheese made from butternut squash and cashews.
This is SO creamy, and the whole wheat pasta cooked in the Instant Pot in just 2 minutes!! The squash was roasted first (I did that the night before to save time), so that made for a very flavorful sauce. But the recipe doesn’t call for that; you can use B-nut squash cooked in any way. I just prefer roasted squash. I served this with broccoli for a balance meal.
I tried the Tempeh Sloppy Janes last week. Best vegan sloppy janes (or joes) I’ve ever had!
The sloppy jane mixture is made with a base of tempeh and refried beans, which is unlike any I’ve had before. I love the texture of the beans, and the recipe made so many servings. I had it on buns with diced red onion, bell pepper, and pickles for several days. And when I got tired of eating it on buns, I served it atop whole wheat pasta for a very yummy and filling meal.
All of Barb’s recipes are based on whole foods, which is how I try to eat at home most of the time. There are so many things I want to try from this book, so it looks like I’ll be asking for an Instant Pot for Christmas! Other recipes on my list: Chickpea Kale Korma, Savory Tofu & Potato Casserole, Taco Chili, Red Thai Curry Cauliflower, and the Layered Mexican Casserole.
Want your own copy of The Complete Vegan Instant Pot? Just leave a comment on this post that includes your email address (so I can contact you if you win!).
- Liverpool look to complete signing of Netherlands U-19 defender Van den Berg June 24, 2019The PEC Zwolle defender is entering the last year of his contract and has the likes of Bayern Munich and Ajax competing for his signature Liverpool ar […]
- Priyanka Chopra Knows That No Vacation Wardrobe Is Complete Without a Wrap Dress June 24, 2019Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas are living their best summer vacation life in Paris with the rest of the Jo-Bros and J-Sisters—and winning best-dressed […]
- Fred’s closing 49 more stores, 3 in Alabama; complete list of closing locations June 24, 2019Discount chain Fred’s is closing 49 more stores, including three in Alabama. Pharmacies located inside the stores will remain open, the company said. […]
- ‘A complete blackout:’ After going missing, man says he can’t recall what happened in Mexico June 24, 2019VAN BUREN, Ark. — Jessy Pacheco of Arkansas was reported missing for most of last week after his graduation from medical school in Mexico. His family […]
- Kovacic left in limbo with time running out for Chelsea to complete permanent deal June 24, 2019Chelsea have just seven days to make a decision on the future of Mateo Kovacic with the Real Madrid midfielder unsure of where he will be playing his […]