This VEGAN fried "egg" sandwich recipe is just as delicious and EASY to make as a regular fried egg sandwich. When a viewer requested a vegan "egg banjo," I realized I didn't have a vegan fried egg sandwich on the channel yet. So I thought I'd better give you one.
From Wikipedia, this "popular filling snack with British troops since at least World War I, the "egg banjo" is a sandwich of a runny fried egg between two thick slices of bread (if possible, buttered or with margarine), often accompanied by a mug of "gunfire". A popular account of the term's origins is the act of cleaning spilt egg off one's body, the sandwich held out to the side with one hand whilst the other wipes at the drips, giving the impression of playing an invisible banjo."
This version of vegan egg banjos (or fried egg sandwiches) uses tofu in place of the egg whites, a quick mixture of spices, black salt (kala namak) and vegan mayo in place of the yolk but keeps everything else pretty much the same. It's such a simple and delicious vegan breakfast sandwich, I hope you'll try it out. Please let me know if you do and what extra things you'd slip into your own vegan egg banjo!
BTW, the aroma of black salt (kala namak) is really strong so a little goes a long way. That said, don't add it until the end because signature sulfur-y scent is reduced if you heat it.
✨ Become a channel member for early access + exclusive community posts!✨
Easy Vegan Fried Egg Sandwich (printable recipe & blog post):
Buy Kala Namak (the egg-y smelling black salt):
Riles' new channel! CATURDAY – for peaceful videos appreciating the senior cat retirement life:
—–SHOP MY FAVES*—–
AUDIBLE 30 DAY TRIAL + 2 FREE BOOKS:
My recommendation: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
VITAL WHEAT GLUTEN:
—–KEEP IN TOUCH—–
*Some links are affiliate links. This means I'll earn a small commission if you make a purchase through the link at no extra cost to you. This helps me buy supplies to make more videos so thank you!
In particular, we are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Some links on this site may lead to Amazon.com or other Amazon sites.
- 1 Canadian Bank to Buy Right Now (And 1 to Sell) August 20, 2019The Canadian banks haven’t been this weak in quite some time. Thanks to numerous short-sellers who’ve been talking the Canadian banks down ad nauseam […]
- Canadian banks to report 'solid' quarter amid trade tensions, strong employment August 20, 2019TORONTO — Trade uncertainty may weigh on the Canadian banks' upcoming financial results, but strong employment numbers on both sides of the borde […]
- More than 9 in 10 Canadian workers feel burned out: study August 20, 2019An online survey of Canadian managers and workers has found that the overwhelming majority of respondents reported experiencing some degree of burnout […]
- EY Canadian Mining Eye index sees continued positive trends in second quarter August 20, 2019EY Canadian Mining Eye index increases 3% in Q2 2019 Positive outlook for copper and zinc due to tight supply market conditions Global deals will cont […]
- Assets Invested in Canadian ETFs/ETPs Reached Record of $139.10 Billion at End of July '19 August 20, 2019LONDON — August 20, 2019 — ETFGI, a leading independent research and consultancy firm covering trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, reported today […]