- Vegan Race Car Champ Lewis Hamilton Asks 13 Million Fans to Boycott Dolphin Shows October 11, 2019Vegan race car champion Lewis Hamilton condemned the exploitation of marine animals for entertainment while visiting Japan to compete in the upcoming Japan Grand Prix. Hamliton—who is becoming a prominent voice for animal rights—took to Instagram to urge his 13.1 million followers to boycott attractions that feature marine animal performances. “So I’m back in Japan, […]
- Antibiotic Resistance in Farmed Animals Nearly Tripled Since 2000 October 11, 2019Antibiotic resistance in animals exploited for food globally has nearly tripled since 2000, according to a recent report published in the Science journal. Researchers from ETH Zurich, the Princeton Environmental Institute, and the Free University of Brussels examined nearly 1,000 publications and unpublished veterinary reports to find that from 2000 until 2018, antibiotics used to […]
- Vegan Soul Food Eatery Sells out in Six Hours on Opening Day October 11, 2019New vegan eatery Vegan Mob opened in Oakland, CA last weekend to lines around the block and sold out of its food in approximately six hours. San Francisco native Toriano Gordon first launched the business as a pop-up with a soul food menu inspired by his grandmother—who used to own a restaurant in San Francisco’s […]
- Vegan Brand Fry Family Foods Donates 5,000 Burgers to California Food Bank October 11, 2019This week, South Africa-based vegan brand Fry Family Foods donated 5,000 plant-based burgers to Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County which will distribute the donation to people who are struggling with hunger and homeless in Southern California. “When we saw that 112,000 children in Orange County may go hungry every month and that 22 […]
- Vegan Presses Charges Against “Friends” Who Fed Her Chicken While Drunk October 10, 2019A 24-year-old vegan woman on Reddit pressed charges after her then friends fed her dead chicken flesh while she was inebriated. The Redditor explained the story under the popular topic of AITA—or “Am I the A**hole?,” a post where users ask if they are to blame for the way they acted in various situations. The […]
- Hardee’s to Offer Beyond Meat at Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner October 10, 2019Starting on October 16, fast-food chain Hardee’s will offer vegan Beyond Meat options at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The chain will test a new Beyond Breakfast Sausage Biscuit and an Original Beyond Thickburger for a limited time in Raleigh, NC, and Kansas City, MO. The breakfast biscuit includes a Beyond Breakfast Sausage patty on a […]
- Bristol’s Oldest Pub Now Serves Only Vegan Food, Including Sunday Roast October 10, 2019The Hatchet Inn—Bristol, England’s oldest pub that dates back to 1606—now exclusively serves vegan food. The pub partnered with vegan pop-up kitchen Soy Ahoy to offer comfort food such as fully loaded nachos with cashew sour cream and vegan mozzarella, a vegan chicken burger with deep-fried vegan calamari rings, smoked gouda, and sriracha mayonnaise, along […]
The most DELICIOUS VEG PASTY you will ever taste, which tastes LIKE A STEAK PASTY but WITHOUT THE MEAT. Truly mouthwatering! It took me many years to develop a 100% organic veg pasty that tasted like heaven, with the best flaky pastry. THIS IS IT! EASILY DIGESTED due to organic unbleached flour and all other pure ingredients. EASY RECIPE. ALSO, I SHOW YOU HOW TO CRIMP.
For the pastry:
1 lb organic unbleached flour (see below for brand)
8oz organic (pref. grass fed) butter.
400 ml filtered, bottle or distilled water.
1 –2 pinch of sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.(Or I add a drop of my sole water to the water – more in another video.)
1 egg (organic) for glaze.
THIS QUANTITY OF PASTRY WILL MAKE 4-6 PASTIES.
Organic, unbleached flour:( uk)
" " " (usa)
Organic butter beans : (uk)
2 mugs chopped organic chestnut mushrooms
1 – 1 1/2 mugs chopped of organic butter beans
2 med organic onions
grated organic parmesan cheese (to taste)
Small bunch fresh parsley
* These ingredients are approx only. ( I try to imagine a large handful of all the ingredients mixed, per person and about 4-6 ozs of dough per person.
Keep all ingredients, utensils, (and your hands) cool.
I lb flour in large bowl.
Cut 1 oz off butter to use later in pasties.
divide butter into 3 equal pieces.
Rub 1 third of butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Cut the remains butter into small cubes and lightly stir into flour, do not blend into flour.
Place dry mixture into fridge or freezer.
Also place plastic jug of 400 ml water in the freezer.
Prepare mushrooms, butter beans and onion by chopping into small pieces. Chop fresh parsley.
Stir together in a medium sized bowl.
Remove flour mixture and water for fridge/freezer (this can be prepared earlier and left in fridge for hours or overnight until needed)
Mix water into flour mixture with a knife. Shape gently and roll out into a long oblong. It can be quite thick. Fold over a third and then another third and roll out in stages, leaving ridges (as per video) to allow air to be trapped inside. Repeat twice more.
Then divide dough into equal amounts. (4 – 6 ozs for a medium sized pasty.)
Shape into a ball. Roll into a circle. Place ingredients in the centre and out almost to the sides (see video) and sprinkle more parsley if required and grated parmesan on top. Salt and pepper. Knob or two of butter on top. Wet edges with water. Draw edges together and press together. Turn on to side (as in video) and crimp the edges.
Brush all over with beaten egg.
Place on lightly oiled baking tray in a pre-heated oven at 200C (fan oven) or 220 c.
Check after 15 mins and turn oven down to 190C OR 180C FOR A FAN OVEN and check frequently to make sure pastry is turning golden but not burning. Cook for a further 30 – 40 mins.
** If you have excess pastry left over … roll it out and freeze for further use. (I often do this anyway, ie: make the pastry, roll out into individual pieces, freeze and use at a future date.)
**If you have chopped veg left over …. freeze to use again.