By Jeanne Yacoubou, MS
In December 2018, Del Taco announced a limited field test of a plant-based meat alternative in a menu option called Beyond Taco made with Beyond Meat.
Here’s the press release announcement. https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/12/10/1664783/0/en/Del-Taco-Plants-Beyond-Meat-Tacos-in-San-Diego.html
From the press release:
“With a growing demand for vegan and vegetarian options among our guests, we saw an opportunity within the space to partner with Beyond Meat to develop a proprietary blend of seasoned, 100 percent plant-based meat,” said John Cappasola, President and Chief Executive Officer of Del Taco.
At the start, the Beyond Meat Taco was offered only in select Los Angeles and San Diego area restaurants.
There is also a Beyond Avocado Taco offered as well.
On the Del Taco website, we learn that https://www.deltaco.com/beyond some ingredients of the Beyond Taco include: “yellow peas, coconut oil, ancho chili, onion, garlic, lime juice, oregano, and cumin…it is soy-free.” “…yellow peas are the primary ingredient used to create the protein in the Beyond Taco and Beyond Avocado Taco.” Diners can substitute Beyond Meat in any Del Taco menu item containing meat (such as a Del Combo Burrito) for an additional charge.
In response to a question on its website about whether it was vegan, Del Taco replied:
“Beyond Meat is 100% plant-based and the Beyond Avocado Taco is dairy-free. Beyond Meat is not cooked in our restaurants in the same place as animal protein. However, we do prepare all of our tacos in the same prep area that does contain animal protein and dairy.”
For those who may be confused by the use of “100% plant-based” and “dairy-free,” the press release linked above clarifies:
Beyond Avocado Taco (vegan): Seasoned Beyond Meat plant-based crumbles, hand-sliced avocado, crisp lettuce and fresh diced tomatoes in a crunchy shell.
Beyond Taco (vegetarian): Seasoned Beyond Meat plant-based crumbles, hand-grated cheddar cheese, crisp lettuce and fresh diced tomatoes in a crunchy shell.
The VRG contacted the chain in March 2019 to find out if Del Taco had any plans to offer Beyond Meat taco options anywhere else.
Here is our exchange with Lauren Jacobson of a PR firm representing Del Taco who told us by email:
The VRG: Do you have any plans to go national with Beyond Tacos at Del Taco restaurants?
Del Taco: Yes! Please follow along here for updates. www.deltaco.com/beyond
Later we asked for more clarification:
The VRG: Can you provide a time frame for when Beyond Tacos will be more widely available?
Del Taco: Unfortunately, we will not be announcing that just yet. But I will add your name to our distribution list, so you’ll be one of the first to know!
Note to VRG readers: Check back here on our blog for updates from Del Taco! We’ll pass along any news.
The contents of this posting, our website, and our other publications, including Vegetarian Journal, are not intended to provide personal medical advice. Medical advice should be obtained from a qualified health professional. We often depend on product and ingredient information from company statements. It is impossible to be 100% sure about a statement, info can change, people have different views, and mistakes can be made. Please use your best judgment about whether a product is suitable for you. To be sure, do further research or confirmation on your own.
- Mangoes beyond the reach of common man April 20, 2019VIJAYAWADA: This year too, the ‘King of Fruits’ mango has become dear to common man as low production levels have pushed its prices, according to frui […]
- Who needs beef? Taste testing the Modesto area’s vegan Impossible and Beyond burgers April 20, 2019Beef, it’s what’s not for dinner — at least not in these burgers. Meatless burgers are breaking out in a big way these days, with two new companies br […]
- NBA Coaching Rumors: Lakers May Meet With More Candidates Beyond Juwan Howard, Monty Williams, Tyronn Lue April 20, 2019With the 2019 NBA playoffs underway, the Los Angeles Lakers are conducting their coaching search to replace former head coach Luke Walton. Led by gene […]
- 18 Bay Area wine festivals and cocktail events in May and beyond April 20, 2019From Sonoma vineyard hikes to a tequila train, a cocktail camp and a rosé fest, here’s what’s happening on the Bay Area’s wine, beer and cocktail scen […]
- Look beyond 'Fortnite' and 'Apex Legends,' to these six free video games for PCs April 20, 2019PC gamers, listen up. Dig deep in your pockets and be honest – if you have more loose change and lint than bills and credit cards, keep on reading. Th […]