I love a good rice bowl and I’m finding that more often than not, I’m most happy when it’s topped with vegetables and a handful of crispy tofu. This recipe is a solid addition to your weeknight meals.
Bok choy is one of my favorite plants to watch grow. I love how concise the plant is while producing beautiful green leaves. However, I don’t use it as often as I should, primarily because I keep greens on hand that I can use both raw and cooked. If you want to use something you might already have on hand, try wilting chard or kale in place of the bok choy. I find this is just as delicious and another good way to eat your leafy greens.
One note: I cook the bok choy in this recipe so that the greens are soft but the stems still have quite a bit of texture. If you want similar texture for the leaves and stems, separate them and slice them into similar-sized pieces. Cook the stems until just tender then add the leave and cook until just wilted.
I went with rice but the beauty of this crispy tofu bowl is that any grain will really do. I’ve been known to eat this combination on sorghum, quinoa, or millet. You could also drop the rice and eat the bok choy and tofu over noodles.
Crispy Tofu, for the win
Given that I still don’t eat a lot of tofu, I rely on friends for recipes that I know work. I used this crispy tofu recipe from The First Mess. I don’t change it one bit which is why you’ll need to head to her site for the recipe.
Finally, this recipe isn’t overly sauced. I look at the sauce as more of a glaze for the bok choy. If you’re wanting to make this recipe with a solid amount of sauce, I recommend doubling the liquids you put into the pan after you cook the bok choy. You could also branch and make a separate sauce, like this homemade teriyaki sauce.
- Shakib bowls Afghans away June 24, 2019Bangladesh gained total control of their World Cup match against Afghanistan as all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan scalped four wickets following his half ce […]
- World Cup 2019: Arjun Tendulkar bowls in England nets ahead of Australia clash June 24, 2019A Tendulkar helped England ahead of their World Cup clash against Australia – not the man who owns almost all the batting records but the boy who aspi […]
- Dirty Root brings customizable, nutrient-dense bowls to West Loop, plus more restaurant news June 24, 2019Don’t get turned off by the buzzwords like “healthy,” “better-for-you-food" and “nutrient dense” surrounding Dirty Root — this quick-service, gra […]
- Mujeeb ur Rahman Clean Bowls Rohit Sharma With A Carrom Ball During India vs Afghanistan ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 | WATCH VIDEO June 22, 2019India vs Afghanistan: It was a dream delivery from young Nujeeb ur Rahman that sent ‘big fish’ Rohit Sharma out cheaply. Coming fresh of a century, In […]
- New restaurant, Ibendoo Ramen, serves up generous bowls of noodle goodness June 20, 2019New restaurant, Ibendoo Ramen, serves up generous bowls of noodle goodness Salem's ramen offerings have largely been limited. Now, there's a […]