I love a good rice bowl and I’m finding that more often than not, I’m most happy when it’s topped with vegetables and a handful of crispy tofu. This recipe is a solid addition to your weeknight meals.
Bok choy is one of my favorite plants to watch grow. I love how concise the plant is while producing beautiful green leaves. However, I don’t use it as often as I should, primarily because I keep greens on hand that I can use both raw and cooked. If you want to use something you might already have on hand, try wilting chard or kale in place of the bok choy. I find this is just as delicious and another good way to eat your leafy greens.
One note: I cook the bok choy in this recipe so that the greens are soft but the stems still have quite a bit of texture. If you want similar texture for the leaves and stems, separate them and slice them into similar-sized pieces. Cook the stems until just tender then add the leave and cook until just wilted.
I went with rice but the beauty of this crispy tofu bowl is that any grain will really do. I’ve been known to eat this combination on sorghum, quinoa, or millet. You could also drop the rice and eat the bok choy and tofu over noodles.
Crispy Tofu, for the win
Given that I still don’t eat a lot of tofu, I rely on friends for recipes that I know work. I used this crispy tofu recipe from The First Mess. I don’t change it one bit which is why you’ll need to head to her site for the recipe.
Finally, this recipe isn’t overly sauced. I look at the sauce as more of a glaze for the bok choy. If you’re wanting to make this recipe with a solid amount of sauce, I recommend doubling the liquids you put into the pan after you cook the bok choy. You could also branch and make a separate sauce, like this homemade teriyaki sauce.
- ‘Absolutely unplayable’: Bumrah bowls four in figures of 5/7 August 25, 2019Jasprit Bumrah led a devastating fast bowling assault in routing the West Indies for 100 to earn India a crushing 318-run victory in the first Test in […]
- KFC To Roll Out Mac & Cheese Bowls This Week August 25, 2019Kentucky Fried Chicken is releasing a mac & cheese bowl starting this Monday. While the internet continue to debate over which chicken sandwich is […]
- 'That is a jaffa' - Cummins bowls Roy August 24, 2019England opener Jason Roy is bowled by Australia's Pat Cummins for just eight as the hosts chase 359 to win the third Ashes Test at Headingley. […]
- These sheet pan Buddha bowls make meal prepping easy August 23, 2019Welcome to Best Bites, a twice-weekly video series that aims to satisfy your never-ending craving for food content through quick, beautiful videos for […]
- Recipes: Chocolate Domes and Bowls, Perfect Popovers August 23, 2019Note: Do not serve these to anyone with a latex allergy. From “Kitchen Science Lab for Kids: Edible Edition,” by Liz Lee Heinecke. Blow up the balloon […]