This is a lovely vegan cake to serve guests on a Sunday afternoon. It is delicious and full of flavor. The recipe was adapted from an old German cookbook.
Serving Size: 8
for the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup cold vegan margarine, cut into cubes
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 tablespoons soy milk
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
for the cherry filling:
- 4 cups cherries
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
for the crumb topping:
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold vegan margarine, cut into cubes
- pinch of salt
- almond slivers
- To make the cake Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and pinch of salt in a food processor.
- Pulse to mix.
- Add the cold vegan margarine that has been cut into small pieces.
- Pulse to from crumbs.
- Mix the egg replacements, soy milk and vanilla together.
- Add to the flour mixture and again pulse to form a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work space.
- Add the 1 cup of chocolate chips and gently need the dough together.
- Form into a ball and chill in the refrigerator while preparing the cherries and topping.
- For the filling, wash and pit about 5 cups cherries and put aside. (If using cherries from a can or jar, drain well.)
- Place the cake dough in a greased spring form and pat to evenly distribute.
- Cover the cake with the cherries and sprinkle 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar-mix over the cherries.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C.
- For the streusel topping: Combine the flour, almond meal, pinch of salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Pulse to mix well. Add the vegan margarine and pulse to make crumbs.
- Distribute the crumbs on top of the cherries.
- Sprinkle a few slivered almonds on top and place in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cherries are bubbly and the crumbs are lightly brown.
- Let cool before serving.
- Almond’s homer leads Kane County to 4-2 win over Burlington June 22, 2019BURLINGTON, Iowa (AP) -- Zachery Almond hit a two-run homer in the seventh inning, leading the Kane County Cougars to a 4-2 win over the Burlington Be […]
- Trader Joe’s banana and almond butter protein smoothie is perfect post-workout fuel June 21, 2019After an intense workout, the last thing I want to do is whip out my blender to mix up breakfast before rushing off to work. And now I don’t have to: […]
- Can Pompeo get India to roll back almond tariffs? California Democrat hopes so June 21, 2019Retaliatory tariffs announced by India would be disastrous to California farmers in the Central Valley, and representatives of the area are hoping tha […]
- Editorial: Broad opposition to Trump tariffs — from almond growers to toilet makers — is no surprise June 21, 2019President Donald Trump’s depiction of U.S. tariffs as a painless way to help U.S. exports get fair treatment has never jibed with reality. Now Califor […]
- Almond Tree, La Viña middle schools hold graduations June 20, 2019With another evening of comfortable weather, the Almond Tree Lions held their graduation in the Robert F. Kennedy High School stadium May 30. The gath […]