I’m still loving the No Meat Athlete Sauce System, a blog post on their site that includes recipes for five simple sauces and all kinds of ways to use them. Last night, I made the tomato sauce recipe (an easy sauce with canned tomatoes, onion, and garlic), but I added a splash of red wine and a touch of agave to cut the acidity.
Oh, and at the end, I added a can of can of chickpeas. After cooking, I put the whole thing in the Vitamix and blended until creamy, so I ended up with a creamy tomato sauce that sneaks the beans in! No Meat Athlete host Matt mentioned this tip on a recent podcast. He does that to get his kids to eat beans. And though I have no problem eating enough beans, I just liked the idea of a sauce that gets its creaminess from beans instead of plant milk.
Served atop Explore Cuisine’s black bean spaghetti with steamed kale on top to make the meal an official bean/grain/green meal!
My post-run smoothie this morning was especially good! I used an orange, a frozen banana, Wyman’s Mango Berry frozen fruit blend (with mango, blueberry, and strawberry), baby spinach, raw walnuts, and flax seed. Enjoyed in the giant St. Jude smoothie cup I won for raising money for St. Jude during the run-up to the last St. Jude Marathon.
- Recipe: Creamy chickpea stew with a kick of spice March 25, 2019Spiced chickpea stew with coconut and turmeric, in New York. The dish, prepared here by Alison Roman, finds the nexus of comfort food and health food. […]
- How to make Yasmin Khan’s Jerusalem-inspired chickpea, tenderstem and bulgur wheat pilaf March 25, 2019This recipe by Yasmin Khan takes inspiration from Palestine. It’s a perfect, fresh mid-week meal and takes under half an hour to prepare. The ideal ch […]
- How Healthy Is Chickpea Pasta? A Dietitian Weighs-In on Nutrition and Weight-Loss Benefits March 25, 2019Chickpea pasta also deserves all of the public recognition it can get. Compared to traditional wheat-based pasta, a traditional 2-ounce serving size h […]
- Is Chickpea Pasta Really Healthy? Here's the Truth March 25, 2019While all pasta can be healthy, some noodles are more nutritious than others - and trendy chickpea pasta is legitimately an excellent choice. Popular […]
- Houston Harvest: This Chickpea Chilla could be the modern breakfast of champions March 25, 2019The chilla, a savory pancake made with chickpea flour, is one of my favorite go-to breakfasts. It takes minutes to make, is deeply flavorful and can b […]