I’m still loving the No Meat Athlete Sauce System, a blog post on their site that includes recipes for five simple sauces and all kinds of ways to use them. Last night, I made the tomato sauce recipe (an easy sauce with canned tomatoes, onion, and garlic), but I added a splash of red wine and a touch of agave to cut the acidity.
Oh, and at the end, I added a can of can of chickpeas. After cooking, I put the whole thing in the Vitamix and blended until creamy, so I ended up with a creamy tomato sauce that sneaks the beans in! No Meat Athlete host Matt mentioned this tip on a recent podcast. He does that to get his kids to eat beans. And though I have no problem eating enough beans, I just liked the idea of a sauce that gets its creaminess from beans instead of plant milk.
Served atop Explore Cuisine’s black bean spaghetti with steamed kale on top to make the meal an official bean/grain/green meal!
My post-run smoothie this morning was especially good! I used an orange, a frozen banana, Wyman’s Mango Berry frozen fruit blend (with mango, blueberry, and strawberry), baby spinach, raw walnuts, and flax seed. Enjoyed in the giant St. Jude smoothie cup I won for raising money for St. Jude during the run-up to the last St. Jude Marathon.
- Switching to plant-based lifestyle with Chickpea and Bean June 24, 2019(FOX 2) - Switching to a plant-based lifestyle can have many healthy benefits. Marc Remeriez, a blogger with Chickpea and Bean, and Oliver Bosnjakovsk […]
- Antipasto Chickpea Salad June 24, 2019This versatile chickpea salad is a great side dish (hello potlucks!) but can easily be a full meal on its own! If you're making it for meal prep, […]
- Join the meat-free mob! Chickpea, aubergine and date tagine June 23, 2019Get all your greens (and reds and yellows too) with these scrumptious vegetarian meals for under a tenner, from the new Mob Kitchen cookbook This is a […]
- Hot soup on a rainy day: Harissa Chickpea Soup June 20, 2019MUSKEGON, Mich. — There's nothing better than a nice bowl of hot soup on a rainy day. With that in mind, I caught up with Blue Cross, Blue Shield […]
- Mussel, Clam, and Chickpea Stew Recipe June 19, 2019Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic and onion and cook until soft and golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sausage and c […]