Vegetarian Journal includes reviews of books we think readers will especially enjoy. Recently we reviewed Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen. In our write-up we state:
“Richa Hingle is a food blogger.
She both wrote this cookbook and took all the photographs. In the introduction
she teaches readers about Indian spices and the best ways to use them. She also
explains the best way to serve Indian cuisine.
Enjoy breakfast items like Spicy South
Indian Tofu Scramble, Mom’s Chickpea Flour Pancakes, Indian Spiced Milk Tea,
and Savory Pan-Fried French Toast. Small plate and snack choices include Baked
Potato Samosas, Potato Quinoa Patties, Sweet and Spicy Baked Cauliflower, Onion
Chile Fritters, and Biscuits.
The next chapter introduces readers to
sides and dry vegetable curries such as Potatoes and Greens Stir-Fry, Sweet and
Sour Pumpkin, Okra in Sesame Coconut Sauce, and Mashed Spiced Eggplant and Mild
Peppers in Peanut Coconut Sauce. There’s a section devoted to dals made with
lentils and beans, including Yellow Lentils with Spinach, Brown Chickpea Curry,
Butternut Coconut Red Lentil Curry, and Kidney Bean Curry.
One-Pot Meals and Casseroles options
are Red Lentil Tomato Pulao, Quinoa Cauliflower Biryani, and Yellow Lentil Rice
and Chard. The Main Dishes chapter features Royal Tofu and Cashews, Mango Curry
Tofu, Vegetables in Smoky Tomato Sauce, and Kofta Balls in Nut-Free Cream Sauce.
Indian meals are usually served with
flatbreads including Avocado Naan, Vegetable-Stuffed Parathas, Rice Dosas, and
more. For dessert, try Cashew Fudge, Pistachio Cardamom Cookies, and Carrot
Halwa. The last chapter features chutneys, spice blends, and the basics such as
Chile Garlic Coconut Chutney, Garam Masala, Indian Chai Spice, and Vegan
Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen
(ISBN: 978-1-941252-09-3) is a 274-page book. It is published by Vegan Heritage
Press and retails for $22.95.”
We also reviewed The Ultimate Vegan Breakfast cookbook:
“I love breakfast dishes and was
excited to find this cookbook! Start off with a refreshing beverage such as a
Pomegranate Smoothie or Strawberry Chia Smoothie. The Breakfast to Go chapter
offers recipes for Hearty Lentil Muffins, Overnight Buckwheat Porridge, and
Breakfast Burrito. Next, dive into One-Bowl Wonders such as Amaranth Porridge,
Banana Pudding, and Black Chai Rice.
Hot Off the Stove highlights dishes
including Poppy Seed Pancakes, Tofu Omelet, and Power Waffles. The Sweeter Side
of Mornings section serves up Carrot Cupcakes, Lemon Muffins, and Glazed Baked
Who doesn’t enjoy weekend brunch? Try
the recipes for Onion Tart, Breakfast Frittata, Hash Brown BLTs, and Mini
Breakfast Quiches. Next, add options from the Coffee, Tea & Co. chapter,
such as Ginger Tea, Cardamom Latte, and Maya Cocoa.
Finally, the Pantry section provides
recipes for Rye Sourdough Bread, Whole Grain Rolls, Sweet and Savory Spreads,
Granola, and more.
The Ultimate Vegan Breakfast
(ISBN: 978-1-61519-488-9) is a 192-page book full of photos. It is published by
The Experiment and retails for $19.95.”
You can read the entire column here: https://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2019issue2/2019_issue2_book_reviews.php
Subscribe to Vegetarian Journal in the USA only by visiting https://www.vrg.org/member/2013sv.php
You can also subscribe to the Kindle version of Vegetarian
Journal in the USA and United Kingdom.
In the United Kingdom, visit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LBY2Y7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1544731957&sr=8-1&keywords=B07LBY2Y7K
- 'Frank Zappa Coloring Book' to Be Released in November June 24, 2019This fall, it’s time to Freak Out! — and color in — with the upcoming release of The Frank Zappa Coloring Book, a brand-new collection of interactive […]
- Book World: Do millennial women really need the book 'How to Skimm Your Life'? Give us more credit. June 24, 2019Nobody wants to be a novice - at least not for long. We crave answers, guidance, an assured way ahead. So we turn to self-help tomes and how-to guides […]
- 10 Philly police recruits resign after trying to cheat on open-book exam, officials say June 24, 2019Ten Philadelphia Police recruits resigned last week after they tried to cheat on an open-book exam, a department spokesman said Monday. In early June, […]
- C.J.: Former radio show talker Turi Ryder is schedule to return for "She Said What?" book event June 24, 2019Former, as in 30 years ago, KSTP-AM talk show host Turi Ryder is returning to the Twin Cities this week for a private book party. “She Said What? (A L […]
- Book World: Weirdly Specific Mixtape Vol. 5: Science fiction for foodies June 24, 2019Food is an entry point to understanding society. Because food is simultaneously a cultural touchstone, economic driver and high art, how people source […]