We got a new waffle maker for Valentine’s Day. One that has ♥ heart shapes. This recipe makes very nice waffles. They were not as bright red as I thought they would be and the beet flavor is not really noticeable. However, the flavor combination with the raspberries made a lovely dessert and treat for Valentine’s Day.
for the waffles:
- 1½ cups AP flour
- ¼ cup polenta or cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg replacements
- ½ cup beet puree and juice
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
for the raspberry sauce:
- 2 cups raspberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- garnished with non-dairy whipped topping
- To make the waffle batter:
- Peel a small red beet.
- Cut in small pieces cover with water and cook until soft.
- Add water as needed to insure that it does not burn. Once the beet is soft, puree it and allow to cool.
- When the beet and water/ juice have cooled puree to a smooth consistency.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the egg replacements into a second medium-sized bowl and beat until frothy.
- Drizzle in the almond milk and pureed beet.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the melted margarine.
- Mix with decisive strokes from the bottom of the bowl, until all the dry ingredients have been moistened.
- If the batter is too thick add a bit more of the almond milk.
- To make the berry sauce:
- Place the mixed berries in a saucepan.
- Add the water, sugar, cornstarch.
- Stir well to dissolve the cornstarch.
- Place on a low heat to simmer until the berries soften and the sauce thickens.
- To make the waffles:
- Lightly spray the hot waffle iron on both the top and bottom surfaces with nonstick spray (depending on your waffle iron).
- Add just enough batter to cover the cooking surface-approximately ½ cup for a standard waffle (1 cup for a Belgian waffle).
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Don’t over-bake- you want it crisp and brown but not too dark.
- Serve the waffles with the berry sauce on top and a small dollop of non dairy whipped topping.
- Beet juice gains traction as an evidence-based aid for athletes March 24, 2019Carnitine, chromium, anabolic steroids: Athletes have experimented with a broad array of aids in pursuit of performance edge. A popular — if unglamoro […]
- Beet Salad with Avocado & Asian Pear March 23, 2019This salad is simple but perfect for Passover, especially for those who keep the Chabad customs where every fruit and vegetable needs to be peeled, an […]
- I Drank Beet Juice Every Day For a Week to Run a Faster Half-Marathon — Here's What Happened March 23, 2019Let's get the weirdness out of the way. Yes, I know drinking beet juice with the goal of running faster sounds really odd — especially when I thi […]
- Q&A: BĒT sugar beet vodka March 23, 2019As the craft beer market has exploded, craft spirits also have been gaining traction. One craft spirit made with ingredients found right here in the R […]
- Hot or Cold Beet-Fennel Soup: A blend of humble ingredients — yet as striking as it is versatile March 22, 2019I love when you can get a mountain of flavor from a molehill of ingredients — in this case, beets, fennel, onion and garlic. I first made the soup in […]