We got a new waffle maker for Valentine’s Day. One that has ♥ heart shapes. This recipe makes very nice waffles. They were not as bright red as I thought they would be and the beet flavor is not really noticeable. However, the flavor combination with the raspberries made a lovely dessert and treat for Valentine’s Day.
for the waffles:
- 1½ cups AP flour
- ¼ cup polenta or cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg replacements
- ½ cup beet puree and juice
- 1½ cups almond milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine, melted
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
for the raspberry sauce:
- 2 cups raspberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- garnished with non-dairy whipped topping
- To make the waffle batter:
- Peel a small red beet.
- Cut in small pieces cover with water and cook until soft.
- Add water as needed to insure that it does not burn. Once the beet is soft, puree it and allow to cool.
- When the beet and water/ juice have cooled puree to a smooth consistency.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the egg replacements into a second medium-sized bowl and beat until frothy.
- Drizzle in the almond milk and pureed beet.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, along with the melted margarine.
- Mix with decisive strokes from the bottom of the bowl, until all the dry ingredients have been moistened.
- If the batter is too thick add a bit more of the almond milk.
- To make the berry sauce:
- Place the mixed berries in a saucepan.
- Add the water, sugar, cornstarch.
- Stir well to dissolve the cornstarch.
- Place on a low heat to simmer until the berries soften and the sauce thickens.
- To make the waffles:
- Lightly spray the hot waffle iron on both the top and bottom surfaces with nonstick spray (depending on your waffle iron).
- Add just enough batter to cover the cooking surface-approximately ½ cup for a standard waffle (1 cup for a Belgian waffle).
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your waffle iron. Don’t over-bake- you want it crisp and brown but not too dark.
- Serve the waffles with the berry sauce on top and a small dollop of non dairy whipped topping.
- Strawberry-Beet Sorbet May 20, 2019Thai-Thanh of Paris's La Tropicale makes this sorbet using fresh black currants, but strawberries or raspberries can also be used. Red beets prov […]
- EU crop monitor ups wheat, maize yield outlook, trims rapeseed, beet May 20, 2019Average soft wheat yield in the EU this year to 6.05 tonnes per hectare (t/ha) from 6.01 t/ha last month. PARIS- * The European Union's crop moni […]
- Zhou Nutrition Nitric Oxide with L-arginine Citrulline Malate Aakg and Beet Root Muscle Support for Endurance, 120 Count May 17, 2019adidas Men's or Women's Deerupt Runner Shoes for $32 + free shipping Loot Anime: 3-Month Subscription (International Only) Save up to 15% of […]
- The beet goes on May 16, 2019Most beauty lovers have woken up to the fact that our cosmetics and skincare choices can be damaging our health in the long run. With many companies n […]
- Eat This Now: Beet-Smoked Strawberry Sundae at Homewood May 15, 2019I wouldn’t call it casual, the beet and smoked strawberry sundae at Homewood—though Matt McCallister’s new endeavor has billed itself as such. Casual […]