By Jack Norris, Executive Director, and Rania Hannan, Research and Assessment Specialist
On August 1, Gallup released a poll in which they asked people whether they were vegetarian and vegan, and then compared the results to the same poll they conducted in 2012 (1). Gallup framed their results as, “Few Americans Vegetarian or Vegan,” but that really depends on your perspective—applying their results to the adult population shows that 7.6 million U.S. adults consider themselves to be vegan and that’s a considerable increase from earlier decades.
Gallup found that while the percentage of vegetarians has remained at 5% since 2012, the percentage of vegans had increased from 2% to 3%—a 50% increase in six years. And if you do the math based on the U.S. adult population from 2011 and 2017—the years they used in their calculations (2)—the number of vegans has increased by an estimated 2.8 million in those six years.
There are two caveats to this poll:
- Unlike the Vegetarian Resource Group’s polls of vegetarians and vegans which ask people what foods they eat, Gallup asked people if they “consider themselves to be” a vegetarian or vegan. The Vegetarian Resource Group’s pollsters estimated there to be 3.7 million adult vegans in the U.S. in 2016 based on food frequency data (3).
- The margin of error for these Gallup polls is wide at ±4%.
That said, the trends point in the right direction and reinforce our experience on the ground—the number of vegans is growing. Thank you to everyone working to spread a vegan lifestyle and end the suffering of farmed animals!
2. Adults U.S. population taken from U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division (2011). Accessed August 10, 2018. Found U.S. adult population to be 237,734,073 in 2011 and 252,063,800 in 2017.
- Geoffrey Rush Awarded $1.9 Million in #MeToo Defamation Case May 23, 2019Geoffrey Rush has been awarded $1.9 million after winning a defamation case against Australia’s Nationwide News over a story published in the company’ […]
- Voss Industries property in Ohio City listed at $12 million May 23, 2019CLEVELAND, Ohio –– The longtime Ohio City headquarters of Voss Industries is being listed for sale for $12 million as the manufacturing company prepar […]
- Auto parts and technology company Bosch fined $100 million for role in the diesel emissions scandal May 23, 2019BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors have fined auto parts and technology company Bosch $100 million over its role in the diesel emissions scandal that er […]
- A developmentally disabled man lived alone with hundreds of rats. He's now been awarded $8 million. May 23, 2019The Space Needle deserves its iconic status, and its status as one of the most visited attractions on the West Coast. A Space Age beauty. For more inf […]
- Republicans agree on $500 million for Wisconsin schools May 23, 2019MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Republicans who control the Wisconsin Legislature have agreed on a $500 million increase in K-12 school funding over the next two […]