Skip the takeout and whip up your favorite Chinese dishes at home! This collection includes everything from potstickers to lo mein to General Tso’s tofu. All delicious and totally vegan!
Let’s talk about Chinese zodiac signs. There’s something to them. For most of my life, I thought this was a bunch of nonsense. I was told, some time when I was very young, that I born under the sign of the monkey, because I was born in 1980. Outgoing, charming, party animal…that made absolutely no sense.
I didn’t figure out what was going on until a couple of years ago when I went to see the Chinese New Year parade in Philly, in February. That’s when it occurred to me that because I was born in January (before the start of the new year), I must be associated with the previous sign: the sheep. Sensitive, quiet, creative…now that made sense! Keep this in mind next time you read about your sign on a Chinese restaurant menu.
You could also just skip the restaurant, and celebrate Chinese New Year at home, vegan style. I’m here to help, with my favorite vegan Chinese recipes, or at least, Chinese-inspired recipes. I say “inspired” because, as far as I know, zucchini noodle lo mein is not authentic to Chinese cuisine, but the inspiration is definitely there.
This year’s Chinese New Year celebration falls on February 5th, when we enter the year of the pig.
Chinese Steamed Buns – China Sichuan Food
Sticky Rice Mushroom Shumai – The Woks of Life
Vegetable Spring Rolls – Steamy Kitchen
Chinese Salt and Pepper Tofu – Veggie Belly
Chinese Potato Pancake – China Sichuan Food
Soups & Salads
Faux Pork Wonton Soup with Bok Choy – Olives for Dinner
Nine Vegetable Hot and Sour Soup – Eats Well With Others
Vegan Chinese Salad – Simple Vegan Blog
Chinese Spinach and Peanut Salad – Omnivore’s Cookbook
Chinese Cucumber Salad – Kalyn’s Kitchen
Vegan Crock Pot Chinese Hot Pot -Noshing with the Nolands
Veggie Chow Mein – Amuse Your Bouche
Roasted Eggplant + Noodles with Chinese Black Vinegar Dressing – My Darling Lemon Thyme
Vegetable Stir Fry Mung Bean Noodles – Healthy Nibbles and Bits
Chinese Five Spice Vegetable and Noodle Stir Fry – The Taste Space
15 Minute Hot Oil Noodles – The Woks of Life
Vegan Dan Dan Noodles – Serious Eats
Vegan Chinese Fried Rice – Simple Vegan Blog
Sriracha Fried Rice – Appetite for China
Vegan Quinoa Fried Rice – Girl Makes Food
Kung Pao Lentils – Vegan Richa
Sweet and Sour Crispy Mock Chicken Stir Fry – Olives for Dinner
Chinese Vegetarian Chicken with Simple Five Spice Sauce – Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
Pineapple and Cashew Stir Fry – Amuse Your Bouche
Sweet and Sour Cauliflower – The Veg Life
Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts – Appetite for China
Mongolian Soy Curls – Vegan Yumminess
Chinese Cabbage and Five-Spice Seitan with Fermented Black Beans – The Taste Space
Sichuan Tofu with Garlic Sauce – Fat Free Vegan Kitchen
Mapo Tofu with Mushrooms – China Sichuan Food
The post 50+ Chinese Inspired Vegan Recipes for Chinese New Year appeared first on Connoisseurus Veg.
- Bloomingdale's employee files lawsuit, says she was accused of aiding a Chinese man in committing fraud May 20, 2019A woman of Korean descent is suing Bloomingdale's and L’Oreal USA, alleging discrimination and false imprisonment. Hye Sun Kang, who goes by Jenn […]
- FamilyMart sues to end Chinese joint venture with Ting Hsin: Nikkei May 20, 2019(Reuters) - Japanese convenience store operator FamilyMart is looking to end a 15-year joint venture with Taiwan’s Ting Hsin International Group, the […]
- A Chinese Millennial Looks Back on Her Life May 20, 2019UNDER RED SKIES Three Generations of Life, Loss, and Hope in China By Karoline Kan The subtitle of Karoline Kan’s bracingly forthright memoir flags on […]
- US warns of potential data leaks from Chinese-made drones May 20, 2019The US Department of Homeland Security has taken aim at Chinese drone manufacturers such as DJI in a warning about potential data leaks, expanding the […]
- DHS warns of data threat from Chinese-made drones May 20, 2019WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has warned U.S. firms of the risks to company data from Chinese-made drones, according […]