Recipe Link :
Tarla Dalal's Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal's YouTube Channel |
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram |
Like Facebook |
Get fab food images on Pinterest |
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App |
Get Tarla Dalal Android App |
Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi
Everyday fare, the Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi is a wealth of good health. Rich in protein and folic acid, thanks to chana dal and doodhi, this subzi can be prepared easily and quickly provided you have soaked the dal earlier. The best part is that this no-fuss, no-sweat recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes. Serves 4.
Soaking time: 2 hours.
2 cups bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki) cubes
½ cup chana dal (split Bengal gram), soaked for 2 hours and drained
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
½ cup chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
For the garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Combine the bottle gourd, chana dal, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
1. When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, little salt and 1 tbsp of water and mash the tomatoes lightly using a potato masher. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the bottle gourd-chana dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- Vegetables on fire, prices soar up to 50% on heavy rainfall August 13, 2019The price increase was also attributed to demand for Eid festivity, said traders. Seasonal green vegetables such as bottle gourd, cabbage, beans, caps […]
- Bengalureans want India’s Silicon Valley to live up to its garden city tag August 12, 2019On one side of the garden grew greens with names like kakkesoppu, nela basale and harive soppu, and in another grew brinjal and bottle gourd. “I’m giv […]
- How to Grow Bottle Gourd Squash August 11, 2019Bottle gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) acquired its common name because the mature gourds work as bottles or vessels when dried and hollowed. Bottle gourd […]
- Vegetable growers in flood free areas all smiles July 28, 2019They grow different types of vegetables like pointed gourd, pumpkin, aubergine and bottle gourd in Kharif-1 (March-July) season, said Bimal Kumar De, […]
- Lose The Belly Bloat With Bottle Gourd (Lauki) Juice July 20, 2019Weight loss with juices is a great source of body detoxification. There are several benefits of vegetable juices that help in considerable weight loss […]