Recipe Link :
Tarla Dalal's Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal's YouTube Channel |
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram |
Like Facebook |
Get fab food images on Pinterest |
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App |
Get Tarla Dalal Android App |
Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi
Everyday fare, the Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi is a wealth of good health. Rich in protein and folic acid, thanks to chana dal and doodhi, this subzi can be prepared easily and quickly provided you have soaked the dal earlier. The best part is that this no-fuss, no-sweat recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes. Serves 4.
Soaking time: 2 hours.
2 cups bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki) cubes
½ cup chana dal (split Bengal gram), soaked for 2 hours and drained
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
½ tsp mustard seeds (rai / sarson)
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
½ cup chopped tomatoes
1 tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
For the garnish
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Combine the bottle gourd, chana dal, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
1. When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, little salt and 1 tbsp of water and mash the tomatoes lightly using a potato masher. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the bottle gourd-chana dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
Serve hot garnished with coriander.
- The Nutritious Bottle Gourd June 18, 2019Commonly known as lau, bottle gourd or calabash has gained so much popularity in the Bangladeshi cuisine that there are even songs about the vegetable […]
- Free vegetable nursery to sow the seeds of environmental awareness among schoolkids June 6, 2019Seedlings of tomato, chilli, lady’s finger, bottle gourd and beans are available from the nursery, set up in M...Read More Assistant director of Agric […]
- 11 Best Bottle Gourd Recipes | Easy Lauki Recipes May 24, 2019Best Lauki Recipes: Did you know that bottle gourd, popularly known as lauki across most Indian households, is believed to be one of the first plants […]
- Here's How You Can Make Lauki (Bottle Gourd) Interesting For Your Kids April 30, 2019If you have picky eaters at home, you must have faced problems while preparing meals for them. Most kids have a habit of discarding veggies from their […]
- How to grow and decorate bottle gourds February 3, 2019There are cute, curly ones; big, bulbous ones; gnarled, knobbly ones; long-necked, soft-skinned and hard-shelled ones. Gourds come in a mass of shapes […]