Recipe Link :
Tarla Dalal's Social Media Links
Tarla Dalal’s Recipes, Health and Food Articles Website
Subscribe to Tarla Dalal's YouTube Channel |
Follow Tarla Dalal on Instagram |
Like Facebook |
Get fab food images on Pinterest |
Get Tarla Dalal IOS App |
Get Tarla Dalal Android App |
Chole Masala Powder, How to Make Chole Masala Powder
This recipe shows you how to make the perfect Dry Chole Masala Powder at home. You can make a small or medium batch, depending on how frequently you use it.We have pan roasted the ingredients, because that is the fastest and most convenient way. However, if you have time, you can toast the ingredients in the oven, or sun dry them for two days. Also, take care to sort the ingredients carefully to remove impurities like small stones, dirt and husk.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 7 minutes.
Makes 1 cup.
12-15 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies
1 stick cinnamon (dalchini), approximately 3”
2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
4 to 6 bayleaves (tejpatta), depending upon the size
2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp caraway seeds (shahjeera)
4 tbsp coriander (dhania) seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
8 cloves (laung / lavang)
2 tbsp pomegranate seeds (anardana)
1 tsp black peppercorns (kalimirch)
½ tsp grated nutmeg (jaiphal)
½ tsp dried ginger (soonth) powder
½ tsp mace (javantri) powder
1 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
1 tsp salt
1. To make the chole masala powder recipe at home, first place the chillies on a chopping board. Cut the stem of the chilli. Chop the chillies horizontally into two pieces and remove the seeds. You can also chop them using a pair of scissors.
2. Cinnamon is the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree. You have to break a stick into 1” pieces.
3. Combine the Kashmiri dry red chillies, cinnamon, black cardamom and bayleaves in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes till they become fragrant and darkened a little bit. If the bay leaf is smaller in size then you can use more.
4. Ensure that you don’t over roast them to avoid turning them into a darker shade which in return will make dry chole masala powder bitter in taste. Remove them in a plate and keep aside to cool.
5. From left to right, cumin seeds, caraway seeds and coriander seeds.
6. From left to right, fennel seeds, carom seeds and cloves.
7. Anardana refers to the dried seeds of the pomegranate fruit. Roasted and ground anardana replaces lime juice in the cuisines of regions where fresh lime in not available and also, to make an array of dry spices to provide a tangy flavour.
8. Combine the cumin seeds, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, carom seeds, cloves, anardana and black peppercorns in the same broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes till they become fragrant and change their color. Do not brown them too much. Remove and cool comp
9. Mix together all the dry roasted ingredients.
10. Blend in a mixer till smooth. Make sure your mixer jar is completely moisture free and dry.
11. A hint of freshly grated nutmeg perks up the homemade chole masala.
12. From left to right, dried ginger powder, mace powder, dried mango powder, asafoetida and black salt.
13. Add the nutmeg, dried mango powder, mace powder, dried mango powder, asafoetida, black salt and salt and mix well using your fingertips for 1 to 2 minutes. Using fingertips help in breaking all the lumps and mix the masala uniformly.
14. Store in an air-tight container in a cool and dry place and your chole masala is ready to use.
15. When mixed with kabuli chana (chick peas) to make the ever popular north indian chole bhature, or for other innovative dishes like chole samosa chaat , punjabi chole tikki chaat, this homemade chole masala recipe will add the punch required to make the dish a sure hit!
16. Also, you can make delectable, innovative snacks like baked chole parcels, potato and methi tikki with chole or paneer tikki aur chole that will surely become very popular amongst your family and friends.
- Recipe Exchange: Two delicious recipes August 25, 2019Zucchini are here in abundance. In her 1992 New York Cookbook, Molly O’Neill called today’s first recipe intriguing. These zucchini cups are more than […]
- A Controversial Quesadilla-Pizza Recipe Video Is Giving the Internet Indigestion August 25, 2019the guilty pleasure mashup recipe includes 33 ingredients and eleven steps. Many Twitter users have commented that a video showing the cooking process […]
- Fix it, and forget it: This slow cooker lemon pepper chicken and veggies recipe is easy to prepare August 24, 2019Excerpted with permission from Fix-It and Forget-It Best Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes: Quick and Easy Dinners, Casseroles, Soups, Stews, and More! by H […]
- Easy Recipe: Broccoli and fish noodles August 24, 2019All you need to do for this recipe is pan seat your fish, boil your noodles and blanch your broccoli, the just toss everything in a pan and enjoy your […]
- 17 Easy-to-Pack Picnic Recipes That Anyone Can Make August 23, 2019As far as I’m concerned, September is the perfect time for a picnic. It’s still warm out—but not too muggy—and the crowds at local parks and beaches h […]